Participation in Meetings / Conferences / Symposium
19th Workshop on Computational & Structural Bioinformatics held at MGIMS, Sevagram during January 09 - 10, 2017
19th Workshop on Computational & Structural Bioinformatics was organized by Bioinformatics Centre, Biochemistry & JBTDRC at Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sevagram, during January 09 - 10, 2017 with encouragement and support from Honorable Shri Dhiru S. Mehta, President, KHS; Dr. B. S. Garg, Secretary, KHS, Dr. K. R. Patond, Dean, MGIMS; Dr. S. P. Kalantri, MS, Kasturba Hospital and Dr. M.V. R. Reddy, Director-Professor & Head, Biochemistry, MGIMS, Sevagram. Department of Biotechnology, MoS&T, GOI sponsored the workshop.
Lectures around the theme on Health Informatics & BIC’s Contributions – A Brief Review, What are the causes for diagnostic errors in healthcare delivery system?, Advances in Molecular Modeling Tools and Techniques for Biomolecular Interaction, Computer Aided Techniques for Target Based Drug Design, Structural specificity help design novel inhibitors against leishmaniasis, Computational & Bioinformatics techniques to predict the impact of mutation on protein structure, Studying protein-ligand interaction using MD simulation by GROMACS, Prediction of potential TB drug targets using Bioinformatics, Proteomics in Biomarker Discovery, Nitrilase(s): Mining genome to structure analysis were delivered by Dr. B. C. Harinath, Director, JBTDRC & Coordinator, BIC; Dr. G.D. Mogli Chief Executive Officer & MD, Dr. Mogli Healthcare Management, Hyderabad; Mr. Surya Narayan Rath, Asst. Professor, Bioinformatics, OUAT, Bhubaneswar; Dr. Dibyabhaba Pradhan, Scientist II, NIP, ICMR, New Delhi; Dr. Shailza Singh, Scientist 'D', National Centre for Cell Science, NCCS Complex, Pune; Mr. Lingaraja Jena, Information Officer, BIC, MGIMS, Sevagram; Mr. Rajabrata Bhuyan, Research Associate, Kalyani University, WB; Dr. K. Guruprasad, Scientist & Coordinator, BIC, Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad; Dr. Rukmini Govekar, Principal Investigator & Scientific Officer 'F', TMC - ACTREC, Kharghar, Navi Mumbai; Dr. Nikhil Sharma, Information Officer, BIC - Sub-DIC, Himachal Pradesh University, Summer - Hill Shimla. Besides, hands-on-sessions were also conducted on Healthcare Delivery System, Computational & Structural Bioinformatics: Drug - Target identification, Protein structure prediction & Protein-Ligand Docking by Dr. G.D. Mogli; Dr. Satish Kumar, Professor, Biochemistry & Dy Coordinator, BIC; Mr. Surya Narayan Rath; Mr. Lingaraja Jena; Dr. Dibyabhaba Pradhan; Mr. Rajabrata Bhuyan. Delegates from different parts of India such as Shimla, New Delhi, Lucknow, Kolkata, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bhubaneswar, Amravati, Jalgaon, Nanded, Wardha etc participated in the sessions with enthusiasm and interest. Dr. Guruprasad encouraged the workshop participants in the concluding discussion section and suggests them to learn basic Bioinformatics which is evolved as an emerging science. Fifty four delegates attended the workshop found practical sessions quite useful and desired more such practical sessions in future workshops. Guest faculty and the delegates appreciated the overall proceeding of the workshop.
22nd Short Term Training Course on ‘Molecular Techniques as Applied for Infectious Disease Research’, February 13-18, 2017
A week-long laboratory training course on “Molecular techniques as applied for infectious disease research” was organized at Mahatma Gandhi Institute of medical Sciences, Sevagram. The course is conducted annually with the support from Department of Biotechnology of Government of India. Fourteen medical teachers, residents and budding Scientists selected from different medical and research Institutes all over India were given hands on training on basic & routine molecular biology techniques as well as the essential analytical and immunological techniques that help in developing the diagnostics and vaccines for infectious diseases taking filariasis as model. This training programme serves as the foundation course for initiating research in these areas.
The course was started with ice-breaking and informal inauguration. Dr. M.V.R. Reddy, Director-Professor and Head of the Department of Biochemistry and the Course Organizer briefed on the contents of the course. He also updated participants on Filarial Parasite Products as Therapeutic Immunomodulatory for Autoimmune Disease. Dr. Subhash Chandra Parija, Director, JIPMER, Puducherry; Dr. Rajpal Singh Kashyap, Sr. Research Scientist, Biochemistry & Research laboratory Central India institute of Medical Sciences, Nagpur, Dr. Amitava Das, Senior Scientist, Centre for Chemical Biology (IICT-CSIR) Hyderabad and Dr. Kalyan Goswami, Professor, Department of Biochemistry, MGIMS Sevagram were the faculty members in the course.
The research scholars Mr. Namdev Togre, Ms. Priyanka Bhoj, Mr. Jayesh Unekar & Mr. Arun Rathod were the technical resource persons who gave presentations followed by hands on training in the lab on different experiments to the participants.
A confidential written feedback from the participants at the conclusion of the course reflected that the course was well received. Distribution of certificates to the participants in the concluding programme on 18th February was carried out by the hands of Dr. K.R. Patond, Dean, MGIMS, Sevagram and he also suggested that the participants should feel free to contact the organizers in future for any help as needed when they would implement these techniques in their areas of research.
Participation in Meetings / Conferences / Symposium
Dr. B. C. Harinath
- Delivered a Guest Lecture on "Mycobacterial Excretory Secretory-31 (ES-31) Protein with Serine Protease and Lipase Activities – an Immunogen and Drug Target Against TB Infection" in the Second Asian African Congress of Mycobacteriology held in Isfahan, Iran during February 25-28, 2017.
- Attended the Symposium on Meditation at Sanchi University on invitation from Sanchi University of Buddhist-Indic Studies, Barla, MP during February 1 – 7, 2017.
Dr. Satish Kumar attended 28th BTISnet Annual Coordinators’ Review meeting organized by DBT, MoS&T, Govt. of India and presented progress report on BIC for 2016-17 at Advanced Centre for Treatment Research and Education in Cancer, Tata Memorial Centre, Kharghar, Navi Mumbai during February 3-4, 2017.
Dr. K. Goswami as a coordinator, conducted a workshop on “Politics of Publication” as a pre-conference workshop of “Ethos 2017” on February 24, 2017. A national level conference on bioethics, conducted by MGIMS under ages of UNESCO Bioethics Chair.
Awards and Recognition:
- Dr. B. C. Harinath is made as Advisory Board member of 'Biomedical Biotechnology Research Journal' and Society of Biomedical and Biotechnology Scientists.
- Dr. B. C. Harinath is made as Editorial Board member for 'Austin Tuberculosis: Research & Treatment' journal.
- Ashwini Kamble, Kanchan Mohod, Satish Kumar. Study of oxidants and antioxidants in subtypes of female infertility in blood samples. International Journal of Recent Trends in Science and Technology. December 2016; 21(2):100-105.
- January 18, 2017: 3rd year BAMS students and faculties from Mahatma Gandhi Ayurved College, Hospital & Research Centre, Salod (H), Wardha visited Arogyadham. Arogyadham activities, facilities and information about Naturopathy & yoga were briefed and demonstrated asanas by Ms. Sujata Deshmukh. They all appreciated and pleased to visit Arogyadham.
- January 22, 2017: Dr. O.P. Gupta and his team conducted camp on Diabetes & Yoga at Arogyadham. Dr. O.P. Gupta briefed about awareness in public to protect & cure diabetes with the help of diet, yoga and changing from stressed to positive lifestyle. Ms. Sujata Deshmukh, Yoga & Naturopathy Assistant briefed and demonstrated asanas for the management of diabetes. Number of participant attended and got benefited.
- Mr. Chetan Dandade, Yoga Therapist visited The Yoga Institute, Santacruz, Mumbai to observe and study the ongoing sessions for management of lifestyle diseases during February 14-15, 2017.
- Mr. Chetan Dandade visited Nisargopchar Ashram, Uruli Kanchan, Pune to observe and study the naturopathy facilities and treatments at Nisargopchar Ashram on February 16, 2017.
- March 6, 2017: 1st year DYND students & faculties from Kratin School of Yoga & Naturopathy, Nagpur visited Arogyadham. Ms. Sujata Deshmukh briefed about Arogyadham activities, facilities and information about Naturopathy, Yoga and diet.
- Mr. Chetan Dandade attended International Conference on “Social Transformation through Yoga'' organized by Indian Association of Yoga, New Delhi in collaboration with Dept of Yoga, Uttarakhand Sanskrit University, Haridwar during March 25-26, 2017